Saturday, August 1, 2009

8-1-09

What a day… Good news, bad news….
The racing today was totally different from what I’ve ever experienced. Practice went well but the track was muddy from all the rain on Friday. Jeff and I were practice #4 on the vintage bikes and practice #5 (Jeff) and #7 (me) for the post vintage bikes. They kind of did a cool thing during each 20 minute practice session by having about a 5 minute practice session for just doing starts. After the track official shuts the start session down they allow you onto the track for the rest of the session. Everything went ok for both Jeff and I during the practice sessions.
Now the racing… First off there’s a poop load of fast European riders here. Some of these guys haul the mail. Jeff is currently 4th in his 250 vintage class and his luck wasn’t too good in the post vintage class. I’m not really sure were he is in the standings but he’s having fun riding the 465.
Now, my story… My first race was on the YZ360. Thinking I would have no problems getting off the line with the mighty 360 I was pumped and ready to go. Well! With the bike in gear and revving the engine waiting for the gate to drop, I suddenly rammed the gate! Not good! It took me a while to dig out from under the gate and get going. I was waaay back. Leif doesn’t know what’s wrong with the clutch because everything is new. The bike just decided to go and I still had the clutch in. Not a good finish in that race. My first race on the 465 went well. I lead a lap and was in second for most of the race and ended up placing 3rd. My start of the second YZ360 race was not much better. I waited until the last second before putting the bike in gear to see if I could get a good start without trying to go through the gate. I jumped out good but pulled a wheeling. No problem I thought… I’ll just pull the clutch in a little to get the front end back down. Well I almost looped the bike out because the clutch was still having issues.
This is the bad part. I was on about the third lap with the lead pack just in front of me when disaster struck! You see, there was this step down jump…. This step down jump was 60’ long if you jumped from top to bottom. No problem on the 465. On the 360 I was jumping the first level then dropping down to the bottom. Easy right…. In between the top level and the bottom level there was a hole developing. I didn’t do a thing wrong! I was just riding, but when I landed in between the top and bottom the impact was jarring. Instant pain!!!! I didn’t even go down…
Now my Swedish adventure includes a visit at a Swedish emergency room. A 5 hour stop…
The official diagnosis is a ruptured left Achilles tendon. It’s between the tendon and the muscle so it’s possible that no surgery will be required…. I’m in a cast that makes me look like a ballerina as my ankle is pointing down. In order for me to fly home on Wednesday I need to give myself a shot of prophylaxis with dalteparin each night. This is to prevent blood clots mainly for the flight home.
I will not be posting tomorrow but I will post on Monday and there should be many pictures to post.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Dallas!
    We are so sorry about your Achilles tendon... it was not the end of your visit in Sweden we were wishing you! But it was really great to see some US-riders here in Sweden and hopefully you will come back another year - and show us who to ride the vintagas bikes...;)
    We wish you a safe journey back home to the US and remember... we eat a lot more than ice bear meet in Sweden!
    Welcome back!
    www.classicmx.se / #163 Clas Johansson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Dallas,

    Please tell me you weren't "That Guy" :) It's champagne time this Sunday morning, and Diane and I and raising our glasses (well maybe three or four glasses...well maybe more) to you. Next year you'll show those guys how it's done. Don't worry about the age thing.

    See you soon...

    Garth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dallas, sad to hear about your injury. I was joking about bringing back some Swedish soil but now you can say you brought back some Swedish plaster of Paris. Glad to see you still sound like you are upbeat. Always smile, never let them know how much it hurts. :) Hope to see you when you get back. Still a bummer..... Later, Ray

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dallas! Sorry to hear about the injury. It looks like you guys had a blast anyway, and I can't wait to see more race shots. Maybe Jeff can put that whip cream to use and sooth your pains somehow.... See you guys at Chehalis, Bill Jr :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dallas and Jeff!
    Realy sad that Your "racingadventure" was ended with Your injury,hope that everything will heal fast so You can race again soon!!
    Was nice to see racers from "over there" here at 44-årsracet,and hope You will be back and bring more racers with You!! Was nice to see both of You ride those beautiful Yamahas that Leif have.
    Safe journey back to US,and maybe we meet again on some racetrack...

    #104 Anders Jonasson-Beltin with son #106 Andreas Beltin. www.lottabeltin.se

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dallas!

    I hope you made it back to the states without problems. To bad with your injury, but thats racing. Isn´t it? I did my 10 th start in Linköping this year and had my first injury ever. So if you come back you will have 9 years of fun racing without plaster... Anyway it was good fun meeting you guys. I phoned Leif today to have a chance to say goodbye but he had just dropped you off at the airport so I do it this way instead. All best to both of you and I hope we will meet again in the future! #137 Kenneth Ahlstrom, kenneth.ahlstrom@yamaico.se

    ReplyDelete