Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sunday 7-26-09









I wanted to have this blog for family and friends to follow my experiences and time spent over in Sweden for a “once in a lifetime” chance to race oversees.
In a nutshell, this Swedish racing adventure was started by an email through my web site http://www.dnrproducts.com/ back in the spring of 2008.
Leif Sundin, the guy who sent that email has been kind enough to invite and host us for our stay in Sweden. I’ll be traveling with my friend Jeff May. Jeff or I have never traveled oversees before. One of our “big concerns” is what kind of food are we going to eat? Now... By looking at me (I don't look like I'm a starving Ethiopian) you wouldn’t think I’m a pickey eater. Well, I have news for you…. Just ask anyone who has traveled with me. Hopefully there’s a McDonalds or Taco Bell in town.... Leif has guaranteed us we won’t have to eat polar bear. That sounds encouraging… I think.
Leif built me this (pictured) beautiful “brand new” 1974 Yamaha YZ360A to race. This bike is set up with a “works factory” cylinder and head. I’ll also be racing a 1981 Yamaha YZ465. Jeff will be riding an "almost new" 1974 YZ250A as well as a 1981 YZ465. Leif has told me that he has enough parts to build 5 or 6 “new” YZA machines. He’s definitely a huge fan and collector of the 74 YZA models. I’ll need to be careful with the “I can’t hurt a loaner” YZ360 while riding this beautifully prepared machine. Jeff and I will be testing our race bikes on Tuesday to make sure everything is good to go.
To close this first blog I would like to give a "big thank you" out to a few people who are helping to make this trip possible.
My understanding wife Stacee for being supportive and basically putting up with my, which probably to her, seems like an incurable “motorcycle habit”

Leif Sundin and family for inviting Jeff and myself over to race in Sweden. Not only is he supplying us with great race bikes but he's also picking us up at the airport, hosting us in his home and pretty much he's going to keep us out of trouble (I hope) during our stay.

I’d like to thank Bruce Burwell, Rick Weidman and the rest of the gang a Rainier Cycles in Spanaway. They have supported me for over 25 years.

And finally Pete Treadwell and the gang at Fly Racing http://www.flyracingbmx.com/ for being a huge help with their quality riding apparel. Great stuff!
That’s all for now….

2 comments:

  1. dallas maybe they have a HERFY'S or BROWN COW over there that ought to satify you... boy that bike sure is a sweety.. you and jeff have a great time and ride and we will talk at you soon
    good luck

    andy gailey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I should of come along as official videographer and photographer.
    Have fun.
    Go fast.
    Remember, your in Kilometers... which seems way faster..

    Gary Osborne

    ReplyDelete